A few weeks ago someone gave us some awesome ground turkey from Trader Joe’s! Talk about cool! Now my problem was what to make with it! I finally decided to make Turkey Chili, remembering my hubby had been requesting chili recently.
Here is the recipe I used:
In a crock-pot:
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (I added a bit more)
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 8 table spoons of chili powder
- 1 drop oregano oil (from Doterra) or 1 tsp. dried oregano (Ask me about essential oils in cooking from Doterra).
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 tomatoes chopped (I added some tiny tomatoes also and chopped them in half)
- 2 & 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bag red kidney beans
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- Add water if more liquid is needed
Let cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Test the beans to see if the chili has fully cooked. I ran into this problem and had to let mine cook longer. I’ve adjusted the cooking time to help with that.
When you serve it you can add sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro or other goodies you enjoy on top of your chili.
Do you have a great recipe to share with the readers of Road Ninjas? We would love to feature it in our next Recipe from the Road post! Email me: email@example.com to have your recipes featured!
Did you make this turkey chili recipe? Send us your feedback or picture! We would love to hear from you!